The market in aquarium fish

Aquarium fish subjected to the staining procedure to enhance their marketability and attract a buyer with bright colors. The practice of artificially coloring live fish began in the late 1970-ies. It caused a very active protest from animal rights groups in the U.S. and Western Europe, who did not want to put up with the abuse of helpless aquarium fish.

One of the main leaders in the fight against this phenomenon is thought to date edition of “Practical Fishkeeping”. In 1996. this edition led the successful campaign, which resulted in many shops and businesses refused to sell “painted” aquarium fish. In our day this practice continues to exist, becoming more sophisticated and covering all new species and breeds of fish. In this regard, “Practical Fishkeeping” is conducting a new campaign against the “staining” of aquarium fish. Shops and businesses support this campaign, receive a special certificate confirming that they do not trade “painted” fish. And free webpage to host about yourself. In addition to this “Practical Fishkeeping” carries out educational work aimed at the average buyer.

Buyers, usually beginners do not realize that they bought a “painted” aquarium fish. Moreover, nobody known to the staining procedure and its consequences, it is believed that fish do not have pain. The staining procedure of ornamental fish is tasteless, immoral, and inhumane practice for many reasons.

When painting aquarium fish make multiple subcutaneous injections, introducing in this way the dye. Scientific studies have shown that such “tattoo” is very painful for the fish. Puncture in the body of the fish get a hole of this size, what would happen to the human body the injection needle with a diameter of a pencil. And if such a “tattoo” covered everything the human body? The immune system of aquarium fish actively fights to dye until dye is injected into the skin will not disappear. Forces to combat other ailments that easily handles the immune system “unpainted” aquarium fish remains.

The aquarium fish dipping in the dye solution is another method of staining, the so-called “rinse”. First, a live fish is soaked in a special solution to destroy the protective outer coating of the mucus and to ensure the smooth penetration of the dye. Aquarium then the fish is dipped directly into a dye solution, where the color of the skin of the fish in all sorts of colors. But the fish that cannot live without the top protective layer of skin, with which it stripped the first dive. So again immerse aquarium fish in the irritant solution to develop a protective layer of mucus.

All these procedures experimental aquarium fish get terrible stress, injury and infection. Directly in the process of “coloring” dies from 40% to 80% of the fish. About half of the surviving fish dies within the first two months after “staining”. One of those aquarium fish that remain alive after 2 months, about 10% purchased retain color indefinitely (although it is somewhat fading), the remaining 90% of colour is lost within 6-10 months.

Due to the weakening of the immune system and frequent infections of the skin “painted” aquarium fish develop all kinds of diseases of the skin, kidneys, liver, heart, they become depleted, sluggish. The vast majority of “painted” fish does not live long.

As a rule, for “staining” of aquarium fish used indulin, nigrosine, benzidine, thioindigo and other dyes used in the industry. Composition and excessive doses of these dyes cause irreparable harm to the health of the survivors after the “procedure” of fish.

There is another way of “coloring”, as the feeding of special feed with the addition of dyes. As soon as the fish stops to get this food, the shade gradually disappears. To achieve bright colors and defined figures with the help of this technique impossible. This method is uncommon in comparison with injections, and dipping.

Fans of aquarium fish should know that there are so many incredibly beautiful bright fish with impressive natural colors, such as neon, black neon, cardinal, eritrozonus (Glowlight Tetra), many rainbow fish, any of aulonocara, parrot fish, cichlids, guppies, discus, goldfish and many others.

Really beautiful fish – not colored people. They are playful and joyful, they have health that these aquarium fish will bring to your home.

Riding on the shark.
Why are they attacking? Are there facts showing how and under what circumstances the attack occurred the answer to the question: why shark attack humans? If the response is there,…

Continue reading →

Production ponds
We spend a lot of time in his garden, the cottage, the station. And sometimes we want on our property was a small pond. I wanted to fish. so we…

Continue reading →

Dangerous marine animals
The immeasurable diversity of nature on our planet: scientists consider to 3500 species of mammals and more than 850 000 species of insects. Despite the fact that already for many…

Continue reading →